The City Diplomacy Lab at Columbia Global Centers | Paris is an unprecedented alliance between scholars and practitioners of cities’ international action. It deploys a multi-disciplinary methodology to expand the understanding and practice of city diplomacy and advise its evolution.
The Lab’s primary output consists of:
- Research: The Lab provides much-needed theoretical framing, reliable data, and comparative analyses of the vast array of bilateral and multilateral city actions and campaigns.
- Education and Training: By combining theory with empirical evidence, the Lab trains university students and municipal, national, and international officers in matters of city diplomacy.
- Practice: The Lab streamlines and strengthens the evolution of city diplomacy by empowering municipalities and a wide array of local and international actors through strategic advising.
To fulfill its triple vocation, the Lab adopts a three-layered governance model composed of:
- The Management: formed by an international and experienced staff of city diplomacy researchers and professionals, it designs and implements the Lab’s activities. In its activities, the Management benefits from the valuable collaboration of a group of highly qualified Associate Fellows.
- The Advisory Board: formed by key city diplomacy actors, it supports the Lab and participates in defining its action.
- The Scientific Committee: formed by distinguished external scholars, advises and assesses all research and teaching conducted at the Lab.
The City Diplomacy Lab is located at historic Reid Hall, the Columbia Global Centers | Paris’ headquarters.